subtle has the following dependencies:
- Ruby (>=1.9)
- Rake (>=0.8)
- X11 (>=6.8.2)
And the following optional gem dependencies for sur:
- archive-tar-minitar (>=0.5.2)
- datamapper (>=0.9.11) (surserver only)
- sinatra (>=0.9.4) (surserver only)
If you are using one of the supported distributions, you can follow the appropriate installation instructions below to install the stable version of subtle or you can choose to follow the directions at the end of the page to install the latest development version.
- Stable releases are available on this site's file download page
- Development versions can be found in subtle's Mercurial respository. This repo is available for read-only hg access at http://hg.subforge.org/subtle and is browseable on the web here.
Currently there are two different packages available:
- subtle (current stable)
- subtle-hg (developer snapshot)
The stable version is in community and can be installed with pacman, the developer snapshot is in AUR and needs either a special tool like yaourt, clyde or packer or can be installed manually.
- Install the dependencies with apt-get: libx11-dev, rake1.9.1, ruby1.9.1, ruby1.9.1-dev, pkg-config
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev ruby1.9.1 ruby1.9.1-dev pkg-config
rake1.9.1is included in
ruby1.9.1rather than as a separate package
- (Optional) Install optional dependencies for RandR, Xft, Xinerama, and Xpm with apt-get: libxrandr-dev, libxft-dev, libxinerama-dev, libxpm-dev
sudo apt-get install libxrandr-dev libxft-dev libxinerama-dev libxpm-dev
- Download either the latest stable package or clone the Mercurial repository
- Change dir into the subtle folder (stable or latest) and issue rake:
This should configure and get you ready for install
- Issue the following command to install it:
sudo rake1.9.1 install
Make sure to update jedahan's repository
cave resolve -x jedahan
Then install subtle like so
cave resolve -x subtle
There is a subtle overlay with "ebuilds" for the stable and devel version available, just add it with layman: (layman userguide)
layman -a subforge
There are rpm packages for subtle available in the openSUSE Buildservice.
Search for subtle in the opensuse build service But click on "Search Options" and activate "Search for Home Projects"
At the moment there are builds for openSUSE11.4, openSUSE12.1 and openSUSE Tumbleweed.
Simply add the repository via zypper to the package management. This example is for openSUSE 12.1
sudo zypper ar --refresh http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/seilerphilipp/openSUSE_12.1 home_seilerphilipp
Refresh and trust the repository (temporary)
sudo zypper refresh
Then install subtle and it's dependencies
sudo zypper in subtle
Tested on Ubuntu Maverick (10.10) and Natty (11.04)
- Install subtle's dependencies (libx11-dev, ruby1.9.1, ruby1.9.1-dev, libruby1.9.1 and rake) using apt-get:
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev rake ruby1.9.1 ruby1.9.1-dev libruby1.9.1
- Download the latest archive from the files page, and extract its contents:
curl -O http://subforge.org/attachments/download/50/subtle-0.9.2773-mu.tbz2 tar xvf subtle-0.9.2773-mu.tbz2
Note that the current version number may differ from that shown in these example commands, so make sure you visit the files section to get the latest and greatest version/filename.
- Now go in the newly created folder and run rake (rake1.9.1 to use the latest version), which will configure and prepare subtle for installation:
cd subtle-0.9.2773-mu/ rake1.9
- Issue the following command to install subtle:
sudo rake1.9.1 install
- Add a subtle session to your xsessions:
sudo nano /usr/share/xsessions/subtle.desktop
And add this:
[Desktop Entry] Encoding=UTF-8 Name=subtle Comment=subtle tiling window manager Exec=subtle Type=XSession
- Finally, reboot and enjoy subtle!
Note for PulseAudio users
If you are using PulseAudio and want to start subtle using just your xinitrc, you can get working audio by adding the following line to your .xinitrc file:
exec ck-launch-session subtle
Install Development Version¶
hg clone http://hg.subforge.org/subtle
- cd subtle
- rake [options]
- sudo rake install
The installer will copy the files to following XDG default path: (see: rake help)
The paths can be easily changed (see: rake help) and are printed after configuring is done.
To enable debugging messages and levels, subtle must be compiled with debugging support. Since there is usually no debugging package available, it needs to be compiled manually:
- hg clone http://hg.subforge.org/subtle
- cd subtle
- rake debug=yes
- rake install
subtle can be run directly from the source directory with no need to install it system-wide, just add it to e.g. your